Changes To Canada's Live-In Caregiver Program

Changes To Canada’s Live-In Caregiver Program

For those of you considering hiring a live-in caregiver from outside Canada or someone temporarily visiting Canada, you may have noticed some changes to the information the federal government has posted regarding temporary foreign workers, formerly known as the Live-in Caregiver Program (LICP).

Today, non-residents must apply for a work permit and ultimately permanent residency; unless they qualify for an open work permit under some of the criteria grandfathered forward from the LICP, the wait and uncertainty can be daunting.

However, caregivers who have been pre-qualified for employment from Canada and have an offer of employment may be eligible for Canada’s new 2-week processing initiative, called Global Skills Strategy.

Visit the links provided in this post to understand what’s changed with the rules for temporary foreign workers.

If you have any questions or concerns related to your current or future live-in care needs, please contact us!